Sunday, October 19, 2014

"In the Service of What?" by Joseph Kahne and Joel Westheimer

"Service learning activities seek to promote students' self-esteem, to develop higher-order thinking skills, to make use of multiple abilities, and to provide authentic learning experiences" says Joseph Kahne and Joel Westheimer in "In the Service of What? The Politics of Service Learning". This weeks reading focuses on the importance of experiencing opportunities through service learning projects. Taking part in a service learning project is eye-opening in many ways, like the authors say in this article, "service learning makes students active participants in service projects that aim to respond to the needs to the community while furthering the academic goals of students." Participating in service learning projects is a learning experience. Like Erika Lincoln says, "Sometimes the most beneficial form of learning comes to us through action. Service learning allows students to have a more hands-on learning experience and connect what they are being taught  in classrooms to real world events."


When I was a senior in high school, for my Civics class I was required to do at least 15 hours of community service. I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to chose to do community service in the field of my major. I decided to work at Agnes Little Elementary School in a special education class with grades 4 to 6. I had the chance to observe teaching techniques by my mentor and other teachers (such as in art class). I was able to work in small groups with the students, and apart from all of this, I was even able to sit down with teachers to get more of their input on teaching. Agnes Little Elementary School is very different than the elementary school I attended. This school is located in Pawtucket and there are more Hispanic and black students than white, which is the opposite for the elementary school I went to. Being able to complete my community service at this school was an amazing opportunity. After I completed my hours I continued to reach out to my mentor and visited their class throughout my senior year.

In my current service learning experience, I help in a self-contained K-1st grade at Asa Messer Elementary School, I can see that the students struggle greatly but with the one on one help, I can see that the students focus better. After my third visit, I could already see some improvement, excitement, and comfort in the students when they understand the material. Relating to what Jonathan Kozol addresses in his article "Amazing Grace," I am working in a less-privileged classroom and the help I am providing for the students will benefit them with the tools to create a better future.


It is very important for people to get involved and make a difference in your own community because you never know how much you could change or help someone's life.

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your article and how you connected your personal experiences. I am using it for my extended comments blog post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading about your own service learning experiences and how you were affected and benefited from them. I also think you did an excellent job connecting the article to Kozol. Thank you for quoting me in your post, I appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your connection to personal service learning project. Sounds like you had a good experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was really interesting to hear about your experiences and your views on service learning. Great job!

    ReplyDelete